APP OF THE MONTH: Audacity
|Product Description||By far the best, cross-platform, professional, audio editing software available online and the best thing? It’s absolutely free!|
|Availability||Available from the Audacity website|
|Key Features||· It’s available on pretty much every single mainstream operating system.· Use it to record live sound through a mic, mixer or direct recording of digital sounds.
· Import sound files from anywhere and everywhere and export your audio files in multiple formats at once.
· Provides an excellent sound quality: 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit. For those who have no idea what I mean, sound quality is measured in bits kind of like how image quality is measured in pixels.
· It supports loads of plugins (or a programme which can be added to a piece of existing software to serve a specific function or purpose).
· Really simple editing functionality where you can copy, cut, paste and delete as well as saving all your individual editing steps so you can undo and redo every minor detail to your heart’s content.
· They have loads of special effects available right at your fingertips including fades, reverbs, distortion, track repair, click tracks, noise reduction and so much more!
· It is super easy to use with loads of quick mouse moves and keyboard shortcuts to manipulate your tracks simply and quickly.
· Built-in analysis to allow you to visualise the different frequencies of your tracks.
|Prices and Plans||It is completely free software promoting free speech!|
|Biggest Pro||Other than the fact it’s free, it comes with a frequently updated, easy to use and incredibly detailed user manual! Take a look at the online guide for Audacity here.|
|Biggest Con||If you’re not knowledgeable on sound editing vernacular you might find some elements of this software tricksy but if you’re looking to upgrade your skillsets just get googling and YouTubing and reading that online guide and you’ll be a sound editing whizz before you know it.|
Whether you’re setting up a podcast (like us), editing sound for a movie, a music track, a theatre show or an installation, whatever it may be, this is the best one available and will come at no expense to you and your company! It’s also a great new talent to add to the CV.
What do you use Audacity for? Let us know in the comments below.