|A specialised selling (e-commerce) platform/online shop tailored to vintage and handmade products and craft supplies.
|Through Browser at https://www.etsy.com/ and as an app especially designed for sellers from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store
|Unique items sold by small, independent businesses and individuals worldwide through a secure payment system.
The app consists of:
· A Dashboard in which you can easily see your Shop Overview and any News and Activity from your shop.
· A Stats (or analytics) section to see your views and visits along with information of where your traffic is coming from and a list displaying the order of your best performing products.
· An Orders tab where you can see both open and completed orders
· Conversations (or messages) where you can talk to other members and customers – a great feature of this is that Etsy will save ‘Snippets’ or your personal commonly used phrases to add to your conversations.
· A place to view listings, your shop, reviews and finances.
· The ability to shout out about your shop items across all your Social Media Platforms.
· Etsy Ads in which you can budget what to spend each day in order to rank higher in both Google and Etsy.
· Links to educational videos and articles about how to get the best out of your Etsy store.
|Prices and Plans
|The app itself is free. To list an item on Etsy is $0.20 (which with the current exchange rate is around £0.17). Your listings will be active on Etsy for 4 months or until that item is sold. When sold Etsy will take a 5% commission and charge a processing payment of 4% plus £0.20 per transaction. So, if you sell an item for £10.00 Etsy would receive around £1.27.
They now offer Etsy Plus for £8.30 a month which includes 15 free listings, £4.20 to spend on Etsy Ads, a custom web address, email stock alerts for customers and new personalisation options for your store.
Later in the year they will be launching ‘Etsy Premium’ although pricing plans a full spec are yet to be announced.
|Unlike Amazon and eBay on which you can buy anything and everything Etsy is specifically targeted towards sellers of vintage and handcrafted things meaning this is where designers and makers can find their target audience immediately.
|Of course, this can also be a con as there is a lot of competition on Etsy. There is also no way to ‘patent’ your ideas, so to speak, which means similar designs to yours may appear and there is little you can do about it.